With summer coming to a close, next week is back to school for most kids. It is also a great opportunity to create new healthy habits for your kids and for the entire family. As a nutritionist counseling families and children, here are some simple tips to get you and your family off to a healthy start.
1. Eat a nutritious breakfast.
While there has been a debate recently about the merits of eating breakfast for weight loss, it is agreed that kids should not skip breakfast. Breakfast is a perfect opportunity to help your kids get a healthy dose of nutrients such as fiber, calcium, and protein. Great options include: whole grain cereal (with at least 3 grams of fiber) and low-fat or fat-free milk, low-fat Greek yogurt and fruit, or scrambled eggs and a slice whole wheat toast. And, whenever possible, try to eat breakfast as a family.
2. Limit liquid calories.
The easiest place to start is to limit sugary beverages such as soda. Sugary drinks are simply empty calories and devoid of nutrients. Try also limiting fruit juice or diluting juice such as OJ with water to reduce the sweetness and the calories. Try also helping your kids substitute sugary drinks for a glass of fat-free milk.
3. Increase fruit and vegetable consumption.
Fruits and veggies are rich in nutrients including antioxidant vitamins A and C, folate, fiber, and potassium. They are also low in calories. To help your kid increase their consumption of fruit and veggies, I suggest keeping pre-washed produce available for your kids to simply grab and eat. Keep washed berries, apples, pears, and bananas on hand. Keep a bag of baby carrots and celery sticks around for kids to snack on.
4. Plan dinner as a family.
The best way to get your kids to eat healthy dinner is to engage them in the planning. Choose healthy options that everyone likes and let your kids select a veggie option and healthy whole grain option. Steamed broccoli, sautéed spinach, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice are some examples of healthy side dishes. Healthy main dish protein options include baked chicken or grilled fish. Try to make meals kid friendly and try to eat together as a family on most nights.
5. Practice portion control.
Finally, my favorite tip for families is to practice portion control. Minding your portions as well as those of your kids is, by far, one of the easiest ways to manage calories and avoid weight gain. I also love practicing portion control with kids as it allows for occasional treats instead of banning foods altogether. Portion out an occasional cookie for your kids’ snack and add additional healthy choices such as melon, berries or grapes.
This post was written by Dr. Lisa Young for the Huffington Post. Dr. Young is an internationally-recognized nutritionist, international speaker, adjunct professor of nutrition at NYU, and author of The Portion Teller Plan.
You are made of Air, Water, Food, and Sunshine. The importance of each of those things can be measured by how long you live without them. So, air and water are the two most important to staying alive. Moreover, the quality of your health is directly proportional to and dependent on the quality and usability of those factors. Food (nutrition) is what enables your body to use air, water, and sunshine; and Prodovite® enables your body to make better use of your food as well. Prodovite® is a liquid multivitamin, mineral, and phytonutrient complex that uses an exclusive Prodosome® Encapsulation Technology to promote rapid and sustainable absorption of its nutritional ingredients. Prodovite®provides nutrients that enable your body to achieve the best use of air (oxygen), water, and sunshine; and supports optimal health, energy and vitality by simultaneously delivering quality bioavailable and bioactive ingredients into the body quickly and effectively.
Prodosome® Encapsulation ensures maximum bio-availability because:
Made with premium quality nutritional ingredients
The High-Shear TBJet Compression (a type of advanced wet milling) and Prodosome® Encapsulation promote rapid and sustainable absorption and benefits∗
EFIquence™ Energy Frequency Imprinting technology impregnates and saturates the SK713 phospholipids with a natural solar-evaporated proprietary electrolyte complex to increase the energy signature and benefit of the Prodosomes.
Provides sustained blood levels of valuable health promoting ingredients∗
Prodovite® is unlike anything on the market:
Manufactured with the Prodosome® Patent-Pending encapsulation absorption technology
Produced utilizing a novel High Shear TBJet Compression Process (a mechanical ‘predigestion process’) to reduce particle size and improve uniformity
Supplies complementary nutrients for maximum synergistic benefits
Achieves both rapid and prolonged absorption
Absorption begins even before you swallow
Enables nutrient clusters to be absorbed at the same time…i.e. ‘synchronized absorption’
Phytosil is a potent herbal complex of ‘one part herb to one part water’ extraction ratio
Breakthrough formulation backed by ongoing clinical research
Validation of Prodovite® for Athletic Use
Prodovite has been tested for the top 147 banned substances according to World Anti-Doping Association (WADA), and is approved for athletic use.
Prodovite® Supplement Live Blood Cell Imaging
Watch stunning before and after results of what an individual’s blood analysis looks like. The individual’s blood is first sampled, then this individual is given 1 ounce of the Prodovite® Multi-Vitamin. The Microscopist waits 5 minutes, and then takes another blood sample. This study demonstrates that Prodovite’s ingredients is Nutrition That Gets In®. Wait until you see the difference this product makes.
It’s easy to be tempted by hot dogs and burgers at a summer BBQ, but we’ve compiled a few recipes to keep your cookouts clean, healthy, and on track with your wellness goals.
Fresh Watermelon & Basil Salad
1 medium watermelon, cut in 1″ cubes
1 c fresh basil leaves, cut in fine strips
1 tsp fine ground sea salt
Toss watermelon with basil leaves until the basil is distributed throughout. Sprinkle salt evenly on top and refrigerate until cold. There’s nothing like cold, refreshing watermelon on a hot summer day!
Grilled Portobello Lettuce Wraps with Charred Corn Salsa
2 Portobello mushroom caps
1 ear sweet yellow corn (un-shucked)
1 small tomato, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, diced
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large leaves butter lettuce (or your favorite soft, pliable lettuce)
For the salsa, grill the corn (leaves on) for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through. We usually make extra because we can’t help but eat it right off the cob! Cut the kernels off the cob, then combine with tomato, garlic, onion, lime juice, cilantro, and season to taste. Set aside. Brush Portobello mushroom caps with olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Nest the mushrooms in your lettuce leaves and top with salsa. Enjoy!
Mediterranean Garbanzo & Cucumber Salad
2 c cooked garbanzo beans
1 large cucumber, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 c fresh spinach, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped dill
Salt & pepper to taste
(optional) 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until chilled. The perfect side dish to vegetable skewers on the grill!
Refreshing Minty Iced Tea
2 large iced tea bags (or 4 small bags of your favorite black tea)
2 small bags of mint tea
1 gallon water
Honey to taste
Boil water, then brew tea for about 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and add honey until it’s sweet enough (or don’t…but we like sweet tea in the south). Chill the tea in the refrigerator overnight, then serve over ice with a slice of lemon. Now that’s the stuff!
Spring is in the air! Unfortunately, so are seasonal allergens. An allergen is a type of non-self antigen (invader from the outside world that triggers our immune system to attack). These antigens produce an abnormally vigorous immune system response, though the substance would otherwise be harmless to our bodies. They can be in the food we eat, dust bunnies under our beds, flowers in our front yards, or even your family pet. When we come in contact with an allergen, receptors tell our immune systems to release a chemical called histamine. So if there’s pollen in the nose and throat, histamine initiates a series of reactions designed to help the body get rid of the intruder, including sneezing, watery eyes and itching. If our skin is exposed to an allergen topically (like harsh chemicals in cleaning detergents), histamine will attack every inch of skin trying to find the intruder, resulting in itchy swollen welts known as hives.
Turmeric for Allergies:
Turmeric is a spice that belongs to the ginger family. It is a natural nutritional supplement that helps to cure many beauty and health problems, including allergies, due to the following properties:
It contains curcumin, a compound that acts as a decongestant.
It acts as an anti–histamine which helps in reducing the mast cell de-granulation, or histamine release.
It can treat both tonic and acute allergies effectively.
It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-bacterial properties that help to cure allergies and other health problems.
Curcumin becomes very effective in giving relief from immunological reaction to clear allergies.
It acts as a natural leukotriene inhibitor for allergies, which is related to a particular form of allergic condition called bronchial asthma and other lung problems.
This blog post was written by Dr. Thara Vayali, ND and was found on www.gaia.com.
Do you know about the little butterfly inside of you? Not the one in your stomach that flutters when you are nervous. The one in the middle of your neck; the one that doesn’t get much attention until the doctor puts his/her cold hands around your neck and pokes around. It is called the Thyroid Gland — actually shaped like a butterfly — in front of your throat, underneath your Adam’s apple (yes ladies, you have one too, just smaller).
Let’s get to know the what this tiny gland does. It’s time to get comfortable with the butterflies.
The hormone secreted from this gland is responsible for metabolism, energy, growth and balance of other sex hormones. In yoga, it is associated with the fifth chakra that lies in the same region — the visshudhi chakra — represented by space, sound & the colour blue. In psychology, tightness in this region is associated with feeling unheard, or holding in the unspoken.
The thyroid gland releases a hormone called T4 that turns into T3, which is what is called the physiologically active thyroid hormone. This is not the first hormone measured when a doctor tests your thyroid health.
When we suspect a Hypo (low T4&T3) or Hyper (high T4&T3) thyroid state, the first hormone tested is the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), which comes from the pituitary gland in the middle of your brain, not the thyroid. Confusing, huh?
Think of TSH like a distant gatekeeper. If you have enough thyroid hormone doing its job in your body, TSH stays in a normal range. There are autoimmune conditions and other thyroid troubles where the TSH & thyroid hormone are affected by other factors, but for the vast majority of the population, there are two scenarios that are most likely:
You don’t have enough thyroid hormone to manage metabolism, energy, and growth, causing weight gain, hair loss, dry skin, depression/anxiety—what I call the “slow symptoms”. TSH increases to try and get your thyroid to pump out more hormone because you have Hypothyroid (your TSH has risen when your doctor assesses that you have low thyroid function).
You have too much Thyroid hormone, causing rapid weight loss, heart palpitations, depression/anxiety—what I call the “fast symptoms”. This can be dangerous! TSH lowers and tries to stop the Thyroid gland from releasing its hormone because you have Hyperthyroid (your has TSH dropped when your doctor assesses that you have an overactive thyroid)
So we check in with the gatekeeper first; we ask TSH to give us the low down on the body’s metabolic state. Usually the direction of TSH is the opposite of Thyroid function. The gatekeeper is trying to balance out T4 & T3 levels.
If these numbers are out of whack, it is important to have a physician help you manage your glandular health.
The thyroid gland does not just lie dormant — it changes with our age, our health, our life situations. It responds to our stress levels, exercise and eating habits. We can heal or harm ourselves with simple changes. With a focused diet, meditation and asana practice, and consultation with a physician, you can choose to heal.
There is no magic elixir that can cure all types of thyroid troubles, but there are simple, at-home practices that can certainly help.
5 Thyroid DIY Tips:
1. Eat from the sea: Seaweed is a natural source of Iodine, an important component of the thyroid hormone (The T represents how many iodine molecules are in the hormone). Iodized salt was created to protect non-coastal peoples from thyroid goiters. Cod and halibut are excellent sources of Tryptophan; tryptophan deficiency has been associated with hyperthyroid states. These fish are also high in selenium.
2. Eat from the earth: Respect the neglected button mushrooms – one of the best natural sources of Selenium, a crucial mineral in the conversion of T4 to T3 (the active hormone).
3.Use the air in your lungs: Sing/Om/Hum—Get some blood flow back into your throat. Let your voice be heard. Let the butterflies fly.
4. Sit: A daily meditation practice has been shown to lower cortisol levels, another hormone in cahoots with the thyroid. Frequency of this practice is more important than duration. Sitting can kill you, but sitting can heal you.
5. Move your body: Practice these asanas regularly, with proper alignment guidance:
Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand)
Baddha Konasana (Butterfly)
Balasana (Child’s Pose)
The poses that assist the thyroid are associated with the sea and the butterfly. Now, that’s full circle health.
About the Author: Thara Vayali is a Naturopathic doctor and yoga teacher. She is smitten with the body and its mysterious connections to the mind, the spirit and actions. Focused on intestinal & immune health, hormones and pain-free bodies. Her practice is a blend of skilled diagnostics, intelligent biomechanics and health education. She is also the creator of Change: Natural Medicine; Budget-conscious, membership-based natural health care.
With four deliciously rich and satisfying flavors to choose from and to enjoy, Organic Plant Protein now comes in a NEW UNFLAVORED option, with no stevia or sugar added. Organic Plant Protein is a smart choice for the whole family because everyone needs healthy proteins. In addition to 15 grams of high-quality plant protein with a complete profile of essential amino acids, Organic Plant Protein delivers 19 naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, as well as live probiotics and enzymes.
Organic Plant Protein is Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Vegan Certified, Certified NSF Gluten Free, Grain Free, Kosher, Dairy Free, and Soy Free.
While the Panthers and the Broncos are playing for the win this Superbowl Sunday, keep your hunger in check with our top 5 no-carb Superbowl snacks from across the internet. Forget about sad vegetable platters; these appetizers will keep you cheering into overtime!
This week, we’re celebrating the two year anniversary of our blog! We can’t believe it’s been a whole two years since we started posting recipes, health news, and tips for a healthier lifestyle. And to celebrate the spirit of Golden Apple Organics, we’d like to highlight our top 5 products:
1.Fulvic + Humic Minerals: This concentrate is both a great electrolyte, and an excellent way to get your daily minerals. The fulvic and humic acid are naturally rich in ionic plant-derived minerals, supporting your immune system, detoxifying pollutants in body cells, and serving as powerful antioxidants. We offer both a fulvic concentrate and a fulvic/humic concentrate, which is more nutrient-dense. Also try our fulvic body spritz as a way to re-mineralize dry, tired skin.
2. BioSuperfood: This unique blend of micro-algae provides a broad spectrum of extremely bio-available phyto-nutrients. Unlike most vitamins which begin as chemical isolates, hydroponically-grown BioSuperfood contains 100% naturally occurring nutrients. These include vitamins, minerals, and super-strong antioxidants. Because the species of algae in this supplement is evolved to withstand harsh conditions in the ocean, it naturally accumulates large amounts of carotenoids like beta-carotene and lutein. BioSuperfood also contains large amounts of astaxanthin, an antioxidant which is able to cross the blood-brain barrier. This makes it one of the few supplements able to work its antioxidant properties in the central nervous system. For pets, we sell two BioPreparation formulas. This is the same algae, but less potent so that a small cat or dog can enjoy its benefits.
3. Primal Defense:As far as probiotics go, Primal Defense is one of the most powerful. It is made of Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSO’s), which are extremely hearty bacteria that make for excellent competitors against recurring candida and yeast. We recommend Primal Defense for those with serious digestive disorders like Crohns Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. As one of the first supplements we started selling over a decade ago, Primal Defense continues to be one of our most popular products.
4. RAW Fit: With a whopping 28 grams of protein per serving, RAW Fit is an excellent protein powder for those with an active lifestyle. In addition to protein, RAW Fit includes several supplements to help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight: green coffee extract, which helps boost metabolism, baobab and cinnamon to help regulate blood glucose levels, and ashwagandha to help reduce stress. RAW Fit is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, certified organic, and raw. Garden of Life recently introduced several new flavors as well: Coffee, Vanilla, and Chocolate.
5. Fire Cider:A new spin on the traditional tonic of apple cider vinegar and honey, Fire Cider is steeped with a mixture of raw, certified organic lemons, oranges, onions, ginger, garlic, horseradish, habanero pepper, and turmeric. This makes for a sour, sweet, and spicy tonic that can be taken daily to improve immunity, energy, and digestion. As a bonus, you’ll get a free dosage glass with each bottle you buy of Fire Cider.
To see if one of our most popular products may be right for you, click through to the product pages to learn more. Or click the links below to read our past blogs about them!
Ah, the brownie. The brownie is to cake as what espresso is to drip coffee. Rich, decadent, and delightful, with just the perfect mix of fudginess and cakiness: it’s a special treat everyone should be able to enjoy. So here’s the easiest gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, artificial no-no-free batch of brownies you’ll ever make!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk egg (or egg substitute) with water and vegetable oil. Whisk in brownie mix until fully blended (mmmmmm…smell that chocolatey goodness!) Lightly grease an 8″ x 8″ baking pan, then pour in brownie batter. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes. Depending on your oven and how fudgy you like your brownies, this might take longer. I ended up baking them about 45 minutes. Just check with a toothpick to see if it comes out mostly clean. Let the brownies cool for 20 minutes then serve. Or if you’re me, eat a few out of the pan while they’re still warm!
As the body’s biological computer, the brain is charged with the infinite task of processing every thought, emotion, movement, reaction, feeling, instinct, scent, sound, and sight that we’re privy to. This hardworking organ rests only briefly during sleep. Even then, it works to regulate vital functions and recharge our major organ systems, while simultaneously building new cells and mending damaged tissues. The 24/7 responsibilities of the brain are unceasing and continually evolving. As humanity finds new ways to challenge and utilize its untapped and seemingly boundless potential,like every major organ, our brain requires a unique mix of nutrients to function optimally.* Here’s a list of our most popular cognitive health products:
1. Remembrain is a unique blend of B12, Huperzine-A, Alpha-GPC, and Phosphatidyl Serine. Huperzine-A is a compound frequently used to help treat neural degenerative disease like Alzheimer’s. Alpha-GPC supports mental accuity and is able to cross the blood/brain barrier to support cellular membrane health. Phosphatidyl Serine is assists in the conduction of electrical impulses, facilitating neurotransmitters in learning, memory, and mood. This supplement is specifically formulated to support ACh production. ACh is the primary neurotransmitter involved with memory formation.
2. Oceans 3 Better Brain is a high-concentration fish oil that contains extra B vitamins, Bacopa extract, Phosphatidyl Serine, and Vinpocetine. Bacopa is an Indian plant used historically to improve mental function, including comprehension (Dhi), memory (Dhriti), and recollection (Smriti). Vinpocetine is an extract from the lesser periwinkle plant used to increase cerebral bloodflow.
3. DHA Xtra is a fish oil with a high concentration of DHA. DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid essential to brain development, function, and repair. Check out this miraculous story of 16-year-old Grant Virgin, who recovered from massive brain trauma thanks to fish oil. (Click here)
4. Lion’s Mane is a medicinal mushroom used in ancient Chinese medicine to increase neural function, and is currently being studied by scientists for use in anti-dementia compounds.
5. Mental Alertness is an herbal formula including Eleuthero, Ginkgo, Gotu Kola, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Wild Oats. These herbs help optimize blood flow to the brain, and include antioxidants which help protect the integrity of the blood vessels that deliver the blood to the brain.
Every time we reason, perceive, judge, or exercise awareness we’re utilizing our cognitive abilities. From infancy to old age, maintaining a healthy cognitive function and a healthy nervous system is vitally important for a good quality of life. Fortunately, these products can provide the nutrients our brains need to keep us processing information at faster-than-light speeds.*
*NOW Foods Highway to Wellness: Cognitive Health. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.